Re: Hot Feet Fixed?

To: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Subject: Re: Hot Feet Fixed?
From: John Matthews <matthews@sj.bigger.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 08:23:51 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Vic Whitmore wrote:

> Many thanks for the responses on Hot Feet.
> I waited until dark last night and then used the trouble light inside
> the driver's feet area to look for light leaks. I found the top area of
> the tranny cover cracked open as the screw in that area was not in the
> clip. I fixed that but there was still a gap. I then used the NASCAR
> fix-all (duct tape) to seal around the tunnel on the engine compartment
> side. I then went for a test ride and now my feet aren't so hot. There
> was one more hole to plug in the firewall where the fuse box is located.
> I believe that there is still some leakage as several points around the
> the seal, both on the firewall and the floor, but they can wait.
> I wanted to add a screw at the top of the cover in the middle but it is
> impossible to get a hole drilled in the firewall with the engine in
> place.
>
> That will work in the short term. In the long term, I'll have to replace
> the cover as there is a couple of cracks in it. I like the idea of the
> plastic cover from Moss. I've also heard that someone has tried using
> fiberglass by using the old cover as a mold. Any comments on the
> fiberglass method?

Vic,

Fiberglass works great!

Just make sure you don't let the cover sag while you're doing it or the
cover will be even harder to install again. You might want to make a
wooden jig to hold the botom of the cover while you glass over the top.
Cheap, effective, and totally in keeping with the spirit of the marque
;-)

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 Herald, '63 TR-4