Re: Rough running TR6

To: ROBERT <RUDOLPHI@tessco.com>
Subject: Re: Rough running TR6
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 19:54:12 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Robert,

Quick drainage of oil, from the carb dampers, point toward a worn O-ring
on the mixure aduster, down in the carb piston. Lack of oil in the damper
can cause acceleration problems on ZS carbs. The oil offers resistance to
piston rise during acceleration, temporarily increasing fuel ratio
portion of the A/F stream.

With your engine mods, you may also need a little thinner taper on the
needle height that corresponds to the 1500 rpm range. Once you vary from
stock, you may need an overall slightly thinner needle profile to keep up
with engine demands.

Best way to determine if this is the problem is with a CO meter, watching
the A/F ratios and CO readings as you go up through the rpm range. You
may be suprised to find at 1500 rpm or maybe 3500 rpm, an A/F ration of
only 18 or 19 to 1.

With modern fuels, and no cat converter, a little black soot in the tail
pipe is fairly normal. If you can see black smoke in your rear view
mirror, that's not normal.

By the way, how are you adjusting the carbs? With the tool in the damper
chamber, or the fine CO adjustment on the side of the carb?

Charlie B.