Re: Surrey Top

To: adamw@a2a.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Surrey Top
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 12:14:20 -0400 (EDT)
This message bounced back so I'm resending it.

 Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 01:26:12 -0400 (EDT)
  To: DANMAS@aol.com
  cc: adamw@a2a.comtriumphs@autox.team.net

>  In a message dated 97-08-01 20:12:57 EDT, DANMAS writes:

> > In a message dated 97-08-01 15:19:32 EDT, ArthurK101@aol.com writes:
> >
> >The TR6 body, although similar in some respects to the
> > earlier models (e.g. doors) was different enough in shape that Triumph
> > designed a completely different hardtop. This hardtop had a solid roof
> >and different windows.
> >

>  FWIW, I have seen at least two TR6s with the surrey top. I assume they
>  used the TR4 top. I have no idea how much, if any, modification was
required to
> the TR6 to make them fit. I would think it would be minimal.
>
>  Dan Masters,
>  Alcoa, TN

 Dan, et.al.  This was probably an aftermarket lashup.  But I'm sure Dan saw
 them.  It depends on how different the body changed (from the TR4 to the
TR6)
 behind the cockpit.  Triumph mad the surrey top for the TR4, TR4A, TR5, and
  TR250 but they thought that the TR6 body had changed enough to fabricate a
 different "hardtop" for the TR6.  But someone could have figured out a way
 to fit a TR4 "surrey top" to a TR6.  As we all know, PO's have done weirder
  things.

  BTW - check out Piggott's book "Original Triumph TR" (p.101 for TR6 and
  various pages for TR4 etc.) for pictures of both tops.
  Cheers.

  Art Kelly '64TR4 CT 33118L (original owner)
  VTR TR4 vehicle consultant