Re: Surrey Top

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Surrey Top
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 16:28:43 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: adamw@a2a.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-08-02 14:08:26 EDT, DANMAS writes:

> In a message dated 97-08-02 01:26:11 EDT, ArthurK101 writes:
>
>  > Triumph thought it changed enough to fabricate a different "hardtop" for

> the
>  > TR6.  But someone could have figured out a way to fit a TR4 "surrey top"

> to a
>  > TR6.  As we all know, PO's have done weirder things.
>
>  Art:
>
>  I believe the differences were of asthetics, more than physical. I believe

> the basic body tub did not change much between the TR4, TR4A, TR5, TR 250,
> and TR6. That is, the tub from the scuttle to the rear deck.
>
>  I'm sure the TR6s I saw were modified by the owners, but I don't believe
it
> would require any thing even approaching major surgery to fit a TR4 - TR250

> surrey top to a TR6.   <  snip  >
>
>  Dan Masters,
>  Alcoa, TN

OK.  I agree that was probably the case.  But please notice that I didn't
specifically say that the changes were in the sheet metal. ( I said in a
message to Phil Smith and John Matthews on 1Aug  "The TR6 body, although
similar in some respects to the earlier models (e.g. doors) was different
enough in shape that Triumph
designed a completely different hardtop. This hardtop had a solid roof and
different windows.... " )  When I responded to you I altered the wording and
it was even less clear.  I should have been clearer and therefore stand
corrected.  (BTW I have found many people who don't realize the great amount
of similarities across the range of models from '61 TR4's to '76 TR6's.)

The company did not offer the "surrey" as an option for the TR6.  They
offered a "hardtop" which they had not offered for the earlier models.
 Aftermarket "surrey" tops could probably be physically fitted to the TR6's
in much the same manner as the earlier cars.  There are many things which can
be, have been and will be done which Triumph did not do.  Cheers.

Art Kelly