Re: TR4 radio question

To: ttucker@mail.tds.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 radio question
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 23:35:02 -0400 (EDT)

> Question: Was such a radio being installed in '62 TR4's?
>
>  While I'm not consumed with creating an all original TR, I do like
>  having those little things correct.  Thanks for your help.

Tim,  That sounds like it.  What I can definitely tell you is that:

1)  A radio was an option

2) In those days it would have been an AM radio.  FM really did not become
popular until later.

3) I did not order a radio because I was picking up the car at the factory
and shipping it myself.  I had been warned that the radio would be stolen on
the ship.  So I put my car on the ship in Bremen, Germany with no radio.  As
a matter of fact, I forgot to remove the tools from the trunk and they WERE
stolen on the passage.  I still don't have a set of original tools.

4) Shortly after I picked up the car at the port, I went to a radio shop and
had a Motorola (or possibly a Bendix) AM radio installed.  It had one speaker
(there was no stereo on the AM band), which speaker I mounted on top of the
radio under the dash.  It also had the +/- switch on the case.  I remember
that because the fellow at the shop told me that this was only the 3nd or 4rd
car that he had seen with positve ground - and of course they had all been
English cars.

So I would say that you probably have an original tube AM radio from Triumph
- one of those installed either at the factory or by the dealer.  Whether it
was a' 62 model I don't know.

Incidentally, there was a thread on this list about a year ago regarding how
to get tubes etc. for these radios. (You know that no major electronics firm
in the U.S. even makes tubes any more?)

Hope that answers your question.  And thanks for the memories. :-)).  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant

P.S.  If any "radio expert" on the list wnts the details, so he/she can jump
in, here is what model Tim has:
"The radio is a Triumph Part Number: V-350 DP.  The "DP" must mean dual
polarity, as the unit has a +/- switch on the back.  The Bendix Corporation
made the unit, and their part number is 5BTRP."