Spitfire engine conversion

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire engine conversion
From: Apierre <apierre@helix.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 1997 15:32:22 -0700
I own a 1978 Spitfire that sadly has an
unreparable engine.  I am hoping to replace the engine and
transmission with something more reliable and enjoyable to
drive.  My main objective with the project is to install a
more reliable engine (however a few more horses would be
nice!)

I have been researching 4 cylinder engines for a possible
candidate, but I haven’t been able to find one that will
fit.  It looks as though the job will require some chassis
and hood modifications to make it work, so I am trying to
get any information I can before I choose the engine and
transmission.  It may even be that a V6 will fit better in
some ways, but I would like to have a manual gear box which
is harder to find on such an engine (there would also be the
question of whether or not the Spitfire rear end could
handle it).

I would be very grateful for any information you could help
me to find.  Perhaps you have heard of something similar
being done, books on the subject, news groups, anything would
be helpful!

Alan St. Pierre
apierre@helix.net