FW: Spitfire engine conversion

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Spitfire engine conversion
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 00:05:23 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Apierre
<apierre@helix.net>]]

     Date: Sun, 03 Aug 1997 14:23:33 -0700
     From: Apierre <apierre@helix.net>
     Subject: Spitfire engine conversion

Hello,

My name is Alan St. Pierre and I live in Burnaby, British Columbia,
Canada.  I own a 1978 Spitfire that sadly has an unreparable engine.
I am hoping to replace the engine and transmission with something more
reliable and enjoyable to drive.  My main objective with the project
is to install a more reliable engine (however a few more horses would
be nice!)

I have been researching 4 cylinder engines for a possible candidate,
but I haven't been able to find one that will fit.  It looks as
though the job will require some chassis and hood modifications to
make it work, so I am trying to get any information I can before I
choose the engine and transmission.  It may even be that a V6 will fit
better in some ways, but I would like to have a manual gear box which
is harder to find on such an engine (there would also be the question
of whether or not the Spitfire rear end could handle it).

I would be very grateful for any information you could help me to
find.  Perhaps you have heard of something similar being done, books
on the subject, news groups, anything would be helpful!

Alan St. Pierre
apierre@helix.net