RE: Spitfire engine conversion

To: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Spitfire engine conversion
From: Eric Rupert <eric@rpm.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 12:50:31 -0400
I just went through an complete engine rebuild.  I must say, if the work is
done properly, a rebuild of your existing engine (or use of rebuilt parts) will
be cheaper than a modification.  I was tempted to get into a conversion, but it
will be very expensive to do and maintain in almost all cases.  My engine is
running terriffic and with more power from high-compression pistons, re-ground
CAM, high-tension valve springs, etc.  This work was done locally by Cloverleaf
Auto (small plug for them) in Aston, PA.  I have a '66 MKII and needed to souce
another 1147 block and crank.  They did this and all of the other mods at a
fair price.  I know that later models and pollution controls really sap the
power, but I would investigate what can be done with the 1500cc setup first.