Re: Koni's for street TR's

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Koni's for street TR's
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 06:29:58 -0700
Tom Leake writes;
>If so how does one adjust them these compress with moderate difficulty and
expand with a great deal of effort.
***************************
Tom,
You can only adjust Koni's off the car.  Once removed from the car, you
have to remove the rubber 'bump' stop inside the upper sleeve.  You do this
by shoving a rod or other such 'tool' through the two small holes in the
top of this sleeve.  The bump stop is split, and with enough work, and
several explicative - deleted's (of your choice) it will come out.  After
you have removed the stop then to adjust you simply compress the shock
fully and twist one way or the other until you engage the adjusting nut.  I
can't remember which way but turning the shock adjusting nut relative to
the sleeve one way increases shock resistance (harder) while rotating the
other way decreases it (easier).  At least it gives you an idea of what is
involved.  About having a hard ride for the street, I don't see it.  I’ve
had them on the GT6 since I restored it and I think it's fairly soft
actually.  Have them on the Spitfire, set fairly hard on that car, but I
also drive it a LOT harder.

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )