Re: Koni's for street TR's

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Koni's for street TR's
From: ybullet@flash.net (Steve L. Toth)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 21:30:46 -0500
Tom wrote:

>But it also had a set of Koni's (front) these are red, with some warnings
>about procedures for adjustment.
>
>Are these reasonable shocks for street use.  One of the suppliers of TR
>parts suggested that Koni's were really too hard for street use
>
>I have understood that Koni's don't generally wear out because they can be
>re adjusted.

   I have been using Konie on my TR250 since 1988.  I've got them all around.
I wouldn't even think to go to another brand.  I'm very happy with them.

>If so how does one adjust them these compress with moderate difficulty and
>expand with a great deal of effort.

   There is a rubber bushing on the inside that needs to be removed.  There
is a tool to be used in rotating the lower assembly for adjustment.  I may
still have the instructions somewhere in the "Triumph Files".  I will look.
If all else fails, youi can send them direct to the factory and for a
small fee they will adjust them to soft, medium or hard for you.  I had
this done in 1992, just prior to VTR Savannah.

   Mine are set to medium and the ride is pretty good.  Race setting is too
stiff for the street.

                                        Steve