Re: Koni's for street TR's

To: Tom Leake <tomleake@enol.com>
Subject: Re: Koni's for street TR's
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 11:22:08 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Tom Leake wrote:

> I just purchased a TR 4 A parts car...[that] also had a set of Koni's
> (front) these are red, with some warnings about procedures for
> adjustment...Are these reasonable shocks for street use.

In a word, YES!

> I have understood that Koni's don't generally wear out because they can be re
>adjusted.

Well, they do wear eventually. The adjustment can be used to compensate
for that wear and/or to change the firmness, etc.

> If so how does one adjust them these compress with moderate difficulty
> and expand with a great deal of effort.

Sounds to me as if they might already be at "full hard" adjustment or
nearly so. Maybe they could be "softened up" a bit. Others have given you
the method needed to adjust them. Note that I don't think you actually
have to take them out completely, but you will need to undo the bottom
part in order to make the adjustment. [Caveat: I don't know if that can be
done easily on the TR range. I do know it's not easy on the front of
Herald-based cars, of course!]

--Andy