Re: VTR

To: Bob Kramer <rgk@flash.net>
Subject: Re: VTR
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 10:37:10 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumph1@nr.infi.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Bob Kramer wrote:

> Well yes! I'm planning on bringing the TR3 (trailered race-car) and the
> blue modified-street prepared TR6 (driven of course) to defend that 1st in
> M4.

Yest folks, we have a challenge!

> I'll have to add that rear swaybar I've been promising the car and
> rebuild the trans to be competitive on a "real" autocross (you know, one
> that requires shifting!)  Would you believe I've been double clutching for
> three plus years with a suspected broken second gear bush. Works fine
> around town but I can't downshift to second very well.

Ooooh. Def. put in the swaybar. Makes a big difference. As for the
tranny, too bad about the bushing prob. I've been there. You'll probably
be needing a new mainshaft on that one. That's what happened to mine. I
have all the parts but I still need to put it back together.

> I rebuilt it with
> used parts out of my spares box in 1994 and it never  worked right.

This is a very good point. Pay attention boys and girls.

> I'll
> never cheap out that way again, I have too much to do to be pulling trannys
> over and over again.

I agree 100%. It may be appealing to pull it apart and put it back
together, but it really gets to you after the 2nd or 3rd time.

> In Asheville I would have had a competitive time,
> maybe even placing with some much better prepared cars, but for that tranny
> (and the cone I hit at the finish line) on my only "dry" run.

That was a nice course. I really wish that I had driven the AutoX there.
But I was trying to appease my wife at the time... she's my X-wife now, so
I'm AutoX'ing at all the events that I go to. And my next relationship
will have to have a little better "car component". :-)

> My car has BPNW poly bushings all around, BPNW road-rally cam, Monza header
> and a custom dual exhaust made to fit around the O/D filter plate (quite
> bent actually).

Ditto on the bushing... the cam's a no-no for SCCA D Street Prepared...
but that's okay. It really is better to spend the money on the tires, and
suspension, and then wheels and then the engine... in that order.

> Oh yeah, I have 7" Shelby mags with Dunlop 225x60 D40M2's
> for street tires.  They make most of the difference. I'm taking them off
> and putting the 205-70 D65's on to save some rubber for the trip to Winona.

I _might_ have Panasport Lights or Keizer wheels next year. If I do that,
I won't have too much money for new Hoosiers... unless I win the lottery
or something.

> I'm hoping for a nice long course.

Minnesota Triumph club take note on this one: I'm hoping for a long
course too.

> So what type of "prize" are we talking
> about?

Well, I don't drink alcohol, so beer is not an option... We should be
able to come up with something.

It turns out that I won the '96 VTR M4 class at Albany...

We could bill it as the "M4 Challenge". We could invite Richard Good too,
he's finished right up there at other VTR's. Maybe we could create a
perpetual M4 Cup or something like that.

At any rate, the prize would be less important than the "bragging
rights". Maybe the "prize" should just be the the bragging rights...

> Bob Kramer, Austin TX
> Hill Country Triumph Club
> TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race
> rgk@flash.net

C ya in Winona,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |