Re: VTR

To: "Bob Lang" <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>, <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Subject: Re: VTR
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 20:09:22 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Well yes! I'm planning on bringing the TR3 (trailered race-car) and the
blue modified-street prepared TR6 (driven of course) to defend that 1st in
M4. I'll have to add that rear swaybar I've been promising the car and
rebuild the trans to be competitive on a "real" autocross (you know, one
that requires shifting!)  Would you believe I've been double clutching for
three plus years with a suspected broken second gear bush. Works fine
around town but I can't downshift to second very well. I rebuilt it with
used parts out of my spares box in 1994 and it never  worked right. I'll
never cheap out that way again, I have too much to do to be pulling trannys
over and over again. In Asheville I would have had a competitive time,
maybe even placing with some much better prepared cars, but for that tranny
(and the cone I hit at the finish line) on my only "dry" run.

My car has BPNW poly bushings all around, BPNW road-rally cam, Monza header
and a custom dual exhaust made to fit around the O/D filter plate (quite
bent actually). Oh yeah, I have 7" Shelby mags with Dunlop 225x60 D40M2's
for street tires.  They make most of the difference. I'm taking them off
and putting the 205-70 D65's on to save some rubber for the trip to Winona.

I'm hoping for a nice long course.  So what type of "prize" are we talking
about?

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race
rgk@flash.net

----------
> From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
> To: triumph1@nr.infi.net
> Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: VTR
> Date: Monday, August 04, 1997 6:01 PM
>
> Hi,
>
> Don't take this the wrong way, but I need to point out a minor error in
> your comment about race cars.
>
> Yes, the Lye/Lopez TR4, "Killer" the Spit, Bob Bownes Spit and even the
> event chair's Spit were trailered to Ft. Worth.
>
> Because they had to be. They are simply not street-legal cars.
>
> But, my car is, in  a sense, a race car. It is very nearly prepared to
> the limits of the SCCA Street Prepared class, and I most certainly did
> not trailer to Ft. Worth. And I drive a total or 2600 miles to - during -

> and from VTR. I even led the caravan of trailers from NY/VA during the
> trip down.
>
> Now, I may be the exception, but my experience shows that it can be done
> and that for those interested in a challenge it can be done quite easily.
>
> I agree with Chris Moore about maybe not driving the car 10/10ths with
> that nagging thought in your mind about towing a broken car home. In
> fact, I was concerned about some clicking sounds from the back of my car.

> But I still drove it and I drove it pretty hard too.
>
> At any rate, my point is that I set out with the intent of driving the
> car to - during and from the event. I did, and I really enjoyed it.
> That's how I get my kicks.
>
> So, not all of the racers were towed to the event, and I'm sure there
> were others there that drove their modified (VTR modified, that is) cars
> to Ft. Worth and back home again. And I'd like to encourage others to do
> the same.
>
> How about a challenge:
>
> I'll drive my car to Winona, MN next year and I'll put up a yet to be
> determined prize to anyone else who drive a min. of 500 miles each way to

> the event who can drive the AutoX faster than me with a raw time. I'll
> even concede that my Hoosier tires will be 3 years old (antique in the
> race tire world) to level the field.
>
> Any takers???
>
> regards,
> rml
>
> p.s. screeeeeeeeech!
> p.p.s. wow, I'm almost three weeks behind in the digest!
> p.p.p.s. Bob Kramer - are you planning on going to Winona? ;-)

---
> Bob Lang              Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
> Consultant            MIT Computer Services  |
> Voice: (617)253-7438  FAX: (617)258-9535     |

---