Re: overheating

To: "'jason@clinic.net'" <jason@clinic.net>
Subject: Re: overheating
From: Steinbeck Michael <Michael.Steinbeck@start.de>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 13:57:50 +0200
Cc: "'TR Liste'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at infwgw01.infwgw01.sinfo.start.de
Hi Jason,

you wrote:

>I have 1 1979 Spit. I have replaced the thermostat, head gasket. I have
>totally flushed out the system, and replaced the radiator cap and it still
>overheats. The only piece I have not touched is the water pump? Could this
>be the problem? Thanks...

What condition is your radiator in?
Well, I had a similar problem with  my other car (an Opel Kadett) just
last week. I changed everything (thermo sensor, thermo switch for the
electric fan, thermostat, voltage regulator for the temp gauge, etc.)
and finally I took a close look at the radiator ...
I found, that the sheet metal that is connected to the tubes that run
through the radiator have been pretty rotten, so the heat could not be
exchanged. A new radiator fixed the problem perfectly.

I would not expect the water pump to be defect. Well, of course you have
a problem if there is no coolant flow through the system, but usually
water pumps start to leak slowly and/or produce strange sounds
(bearings). So if the coolant level is OK this should not be a problem.

I hope this helps.

(Excuse the somewhat rough explanation, but I'm German an I don't have
my dictionary in reach at the moment.)

Michael
1962 TR4, CT 17613 LO
michael.steinbeck@start.de