Re: overheating

To: Jason Burden <jason@clinic.net>
Subject: Re: overheating
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 20:13:18 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jason,

You're right about making sure the car is indeed overheating. Any garage
worth it's salt today will have a digital pyrometer. In less than five
minutes they can aim the sensor at the thermo housing and tell you at
what temperature your coolant is running. The temp at the housing should
correspond closely to the thermostat rating.

An alternate, albeit more crude (read cheap, about $2) method, involves
going to Radio Shack and buying a thermistor. They come bubble packed
with an ohm/temp conversion scale printed on the back of the package.
Tape the thermistor to the end of a pencil and hook the leads to your
digital VOM (everyone with a vintage British car has one, right?). It'll
take about 1 - 2 minutes of holding the thermistor against the thermo
housing to stabilize the reading. Convert the ohms to degrees and you'll
know if your sensor/gauge combo is accurate or not.

If it is overheating, note at what temp the electric fan kicks in. When I
had one on my '80 Spit, the fan came on slightly above 200 and went off
around 170. As they say, your results may vary.

If your car overheats at highway speed, you could be looking at a clogged
radiator. Does the temp drop a little if you open the heater control
valve? That adds extra cooling coils to the loop. At that point, take the
radiator to a proper shop and have it flow tested.

Good luck,
Charlie B.