Re: TR3A Doors

To: "Perry T. Hammock" <phammock@ivy.tec.in.us>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Doors
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 18:05:45 -0700

----------
From: Perry T. Hammock <phammock@ivy.tec.in.us>
To: 'triumphs@autox.team.net'
Subject: TR3A Doors
Date: Tuesday, August 05, 1997 10:14 AM

Looked at a 59 TR3 this weekend, pre60001, so has the flat hood and trunk
lids, built up rear "seat".  The DCO has had some body "work" done,
including new floor pans (flat cut stainless sheets bolted over the rusted
out pans), fender work (welded the seams front and rear!) and bond rust
work.  The interesting thing was that the doors overlapped the body at the
rear edge by a good quarter inch.  Front gap looked reasonable, as did
bottom.  Rockers had been repaired in a similar ugly fashion.  I have made
an offer on the car, as it has good mechanicals, and I have a good body
with bad mechanicals.  I'm curious why the weird door fit, since the pans
weren't removed.  Any ideas early TR folks?  I wonder, Rob, if they did the
floor work on stands and messed up the gap that bad?  Seems like the car
would be kinked somewhere.

Perry-

I can think of at least three different doors used on the TR3 (and you
thought they were all the same...). As I recall the doors off of the later
cars, were indeed the longest of the bunch and will indeed "hang" over the
edge of the door jamb. (Now how would he know that...and more importantly,
why does he have a nice shiney set of doors the same color as a car they
won't fit on ????)

I'll take door number three Mr Dick....
       Nick in Nor Cal