sandblasting.

To: bwarwick@wcoil.com
Subject: sandblasting.
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 09:12:51 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Barry,

ever been trapped in a sandstorm in the desert?  Welcome to sandblasting.

I did my GT6 frame and undertub and can confidently state that there is a
real reason why most people dont do it themselves - its a mess, it's as
expensive as farming out the job,  and you will wear out your (likely)
undersize compressor.  You need  a pressure system ($300) and at MINIMUM a
60 gallon 5 hp single stage unit, preferably a 2 stage industrial unit.
Sandblasting needs AIR PRESSURE as much as volume.  Duty cycles of 50% are
reasonable but you wont find a compressor rated for that.

"Plastic MEdia Blasting"  is your best bet for the body.  That or "soda
blasting" (baking soda).  Neither form is as abraisive as sand thus less
chance of body damage, and soda rinses off with water - a neat side benefit.

Shop around, you will find someone who does the work faster and cheaper
than you could.  That is, unless you are absolutely stuck on "I did it all
myself" the wayI was...

Good luck

Dave Terrick
69 GT6