Importing Cars

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Importing Cars
From: bullobc@vtxix.slg.eds.com (Chris Bullock - vtxix)
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 09:42:58 -0400
--589a_5add-4acc_3853-6286_c5
Content-MD5: 6rDksfK09iRfb8nMz51bNg==

Greetings,

I have had a recent inquiry into importation regulations
and thought I might share with the list my understanding
of the current issues as I recently imported my TR6 from
Canada.

Vehicles being imported into the U.S. must meet applicable
EPA emissions and DOT safety regs.  A rule applies, as I
understand it, to Canadian-registered vehicles in that it
is exempt from EPA emissions regs if it's over 21 years of
age (model year) and exempt from DOT safety specs if it's
over 25 years of age (model year).  If I had attempted to
import this 1970 TR6 PI directly from England, I would have
had to apply modifications to bring the car into EPA and DOT
compliance as imports from anywhere else fall under the rule
that a vehicle is only exempt if it was manufactured before
January 1, 1968 - which excludes the entire line of home
market TR6s!

Special circumstances, including military service or moving
back to the U.S. and bringing your car with you, allow
exemption.

Other than the routine forms and duty (2.5% on Canadian imports),
the only forms to complete are EPA form 3520-1 (declare code E in
box 8 indicating vehicle is over 21 years of age) and DOT form HS7
(check box 1 indicating Canadian vehicle over 25 years of age).
years.  It also didn't hurt that the customs officer that processed
me was a TR6 owner and was more interested in getting outside to
see the car than he was processing me and sending me on my way :)

I called the customs office at Calais, ME several times and got a
couple of different stories, but kept after them and this is the
way it worked.  I'm also fortunate that, even though I live in one
of the most liberal, overboard-environmentalist states, they can't
can't seem to justify that we have a smog problem here, so I can
have my car inspected and drive it.  Other state regulations may
apply - don't you just love the bureaucracy?

Let me know if I'm wrong on any of these points - I sure did my
homework though, 'cause I wanted my PI !!!

Regards,

Chris Bullock
Colchester, Vermont

1970 RHD TR6 PI  CP51686 O