Re: TR6 Vacuum Retard(ed) Question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Vacuum Retard(ed) Question
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 14:53:56 -0400
Hello Martin and Phil and fellow motorheads,

 >Philip E. Barnes wrote:
 >>
 >> Gentlemen:
 >> Re; the vacuum retard switch: What sort of switch is this and where is it
 >> located? I can't remember any sort of switch in the throttle linkage on my
 >> car. Is this something peculiar to the Weber carbs? I do have the vac.
 >> retard capsule on my car, which seems to work just fine. FYI, my car is an
 >> "early" '71, build date January 1971.
 >>
 >> Phil Barnes
 >> Cortland, NY (nowhere near New York City)
 >> peb3@cornell.edu
 >> '71 TR6  CC61193L (20 year owner)
 >
 >Phil:
 >
 >I'm sure they are referring to the "thermostatic vacuum switch", which
 >was located in-line in the top hose between the radiator and the water
 >pump/thermostat housing.  This switch has 3 vacuum line nipples for
 >carbs, distributor, and (there goes the memory again...).
 >
 >Martin Libhart
 >1972 TR6 (driver)
 >1970 Spitfire (under the knife)

As I understand it, the reference has been to the Vacuum Control Valve
found in the intake vacuum lines, between the carbs and the dual-cap-
sule distributor.  See plate BK of The Roadster Factory's blue book,
item BK 1  part no. 148400.  You will note that it is not listed in
the price list, meaning that it is unavailable as a new part.

This valve works off the throttle linkage, so that on deceleration,
the high vac pulls on the retard side of the distributor (I think!).
TRF lists this as a '69 only part for TR-6; it is also found on the
TR-250.  This rig was apparently simplified for the '70 and '71
models, see plate BL for them.

The thermostatic switch first shows up in plate BM, years '72 and '73.

There, straightened that out, simple, eh ?  Any questions ??  Good !
Now, clear your desks, it's time for a quiz.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio