Re: TR6 Vacuum Retard(ed) Question

To: Mark Stahlke <mstahlke@denver.infi.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Vacuum Retard(ed) Question
From: Bill Woodruff <woodruff@fail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 10:11:01 -0700
At 10:01 PM 8/6/97 -0700, Mark Stahlke wrote:

>distributor on my '71 TR6. Here's the story:

>   I recently replaced my dual vacuum capsule distributor with a rebuilt all
>mechanical advance unit from TRF

>the carbs (dual Weber DGVs). I discovered that the vacuum retard switch on
the
>throttle linkage had been bypassed. The vacuum retard is connected
directly to

>   What is the vacuum retard doing to my timing? Do I need it at all?

The vacuum retard switch is an emissions control device.  Your car was
designed to meet an idle emission standard.  Triumph did this, in part, by
retarding the ignition timing at idle.  As you are probably aware, the base
ignition timing and advance curve greatly influence engine power output.
Thus Triumph designed the vacuum switch system in the throttle linkage to
dump the ignition retard and return to a more 'normal' base timing as soon
as the throttle was opened.  Later cars have a similar retard system,
however they eliminate the switch by using ported vacuum from the carburetors.

Since your new distributor has only a mechanical advance, the vacuum system
is already completely bypassed; you can eliminate all the associated parts.
 My car is supposed to have a similar system, but it is long gone.  If you
want to get rid of the switch, I would be interested in it.

William Woodruff                                woodruff@fail.com
San Francisco, CA