spin-on filter adapters & oil coolers

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: spin-on filter adapters & oil coolers
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 16:24:05 -0600
Recently there was a thread in which someone asked about fitting an oil
cooler to a TR6 engine already equipped with a spin-on filter adapter.

Specifically the question was whether all that is required to convert
the "regular" (ie. non-oil cooler equipped) spin-on adaptor is to drill
and tap the two "sealed" fittings on it's body to accept the required
hose connections.

Of course one would also have to obtain the missing parts - hoses,
radiator, thermostat.

As I don't recall the answer to this (that is I don't recall one being
posted anyways), can someone please comment on the original poster's
proposed solution?

I am planning on fitting the spin-on conversion to my car but am not
terribly interested in the oil cooler for now. That being said, I would
like to know that the future adaptation of a cooler would be possible
with the adaptor I buy now. So if the answer to the question is "no it's
not as simple as you make it out to be" I would prefer to get the
"drilled and tapped" adaptor and just plug the holes for the time being
(as described by Peter Chadwell). If one the other hand, the proposed
solution does work, I would jsut as soon save the extra money that the
cooler equipped adaptor costs.

Thanks for any advice.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)