Re: TR6 Tach cable problems

Subject: Re: TR6 Tach cable problems
From: "Atwell Haines" <Carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 97 07:48:49 PDT
Hi Keith,

When I was rallying (and fabricating my own speedometer and mileage odometer
systems) I would ONLY use Speedometer Cable Lube, that black,
thin,graphite-type stuff, inside the cable (available at auto parts stores).
NOT TOO MUCH THOUGH.   Alignment of the cable sheath at both ends is critical
for smooth running too -- make sure its correct (especially at the instrument
panel end, give it a nice straight run just before the tach).

These days we have available synthetic greases that are expensive but do a
great job on the ends as far as vibration control.   I use a product called
Tribolube, which is the consistency of wheel bearing grease.  (I get it from
work :-), but I understand it costs about $15 US for a tube the size of Krazy
Glue!)
I first got some from my Ford parts guy, who just gave me a dollop after I
explained what I needed it for, and didn't want to buy the whole can!!

That said, I assume your new cable is fully seated.   Often they feel OK, but
will engage better after a mile or two. Maybe yours came loose.

P.S. clean out the oil & WD40 you put in there, and re-lube it with the proper
stuff...

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire FM96062
'88 Lotus Esprit