TR6 Tach cable problems

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Tach cable problems
From: Keith-Baer@idexx.com
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 09:08:14 -0400
I replaced my tach cable after it had started screaming and grinding with the
tach needle flying out of control up, down, and then mostly down.

My new tach cable worked just fine with no noise or problems for about 300
miles.  Now it's starting to make noise (grinding/whining) and the tach needle
is oscillating slightly.  I installed it using a bit of light oil.  When the
noise started it cleaned it and used a little bearing grease with no
improvement.  Cleaned it again and used WD40 with no improvement.

The noise clearly comes from the cable (and you can feel the grinding
vibrations in the outer cable housing) so I don't think it's my tach causing
the problem.

Any sage advice?  I'm willing to pop for another cable, but I don't want to do
this every 300 mi.

Keith Baer
'72 TR6