Re: TR6 Vacuum Retard

To: Bill Woodruff <woodruff@fail.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Vacuum Retard
From: Mark Stahlke <mstahlke@denver.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 15:12:18 -0700
On 08-Aug-97, Bill Woodruff wrote:
>At 01:45 PM 8/8/97 -0700, Mark Stahlke wrote:

>>   Given the current setup (vacuum retard fed directly from intake
manifold),
>>is the vacuum retard system keeping the timing retarded a couple of degrees
>>all the time? If so, why not disconnect it entirely? I'm not concerned about

>Mark,
>I thought you said your new distributor was mechanical advance only...?
>If not and you have the vacuum retard hooked up directly to the intake
>manifold, it could
>be retarding your timing - it depends on how the engine has been timed.
>Before I make any more suggestions, perhaps you could clarify exactly what
>is in your car.

>William Woodruffwoodruff@fail.com
>San Francisco, CA

The new dist. is all mechanical advance. It has a vacuum retard capsule which
is connected directly to the banjo fitting on the intake manifold.
All the drawings I have seen show the vac. retard running through the switch
on the throttle linkage. I believe it was set up this way so that the retard
was only activated when the throttle is closed. The switch had been bypassed
when I bought the car (with old dist and ZS carbs). I suspect that the vac.
retard is retarding the timing all the time and could be removed and the
timing adjusted appropriately.
Any thoughts on this would be welcome.
Thanks.

Mark