Re: REBUILT ENGINE STARTUP ADVICE

To: "Shane F. Ingate" <ingate@shiseis.com>
Subject: Re: REBUILT ENGINE STARTUP ADVICE
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 17:54:25 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Shane, and list,

> Bob Paul wrote:
>         > I am preparing to bring the engine of TS71101L to life.  It was
>rebuilt
>         > the PO in 1991 or 92 and has not yet ever been started.

> 2) fill with 15/40 oil (not synthetic), and use water in the radiator

Just as a alternative opinion, I used 30W for the first 500 miles.
Without all the really slick additive components of the multi weights,
parts should bed in quicker. Never seen it carved in stone, but was
recommended by my machinist.

> 6) crank the engine without starting it to make sure there are
>    no terminal leaks

Before I started my last rebuild, I fabricated a length of 3/8" metal rod
with a flattened end that would engage the oil pump drive dog (with dist.
removed). Using a 1/2" reversible drill (turning counter-clockwise for a
Spit engine), I "drilled" the oil pump until pressure showed on the
gauge.

> 7) start the car, run it up to 1500 rpm
> 9) once started, DO NOT STOP THE ENGINE FOR 20 MINUTES!  This
>    is the most crucial time in an engines life, and it is important
>    to that this first running period be done correctly.  Do not
>    idle the engine!

Shane's right about this. You need to high idle (1500-2000) the engine as
soon as it starts to help mate the cam and followers. The high idle also
keeps the oil splashing to keep engine internals lubricated.

Just a little afterthought,
Charlie B.