RE: TR6 Vacuum Retard

To: list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Mark Stahlke <mstahlke@denver.infi.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Vacuum Retard
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 13:01:50 -0400
Mark Stahlke <mstahlke@denver.infi.net> Writes:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

All,
   It's been interesting reading all the responces to my posting about the
vacuum retard system on the TR6. But back to the important questions.
   Given the current setup (vacuum retard fed directly from intake
manifold),
is the vacuum retard system keeping the timing retarded a couple of degrees
all the time? If so, why not disconnect it entirely? I'm not concerned
about
originality, but I am concerned about a "clean" appearence. I don't want a
bunch of useless half disconnected vacuum plumbing cluttering up my engine
compartment.

Thanks again,
   Mark.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< End Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mark

The retard module is not supposed to be connected directly to the
manifold.  The source of the vacuum should come from a port on the
underside of the rear carburetor which will supply vacuum only when
the throttle is closed.  Once the throttle is opened the vacuum goes
away and the module is "out of the picture".

Please note that the port on the underside of an SU carbutetor provides
vacuum only when the throttle is open which is the reverse of what
happens on a ZS carburetor because the throttle shafts operate in the
opposite direction. Please see previous posts [notably Odd's] about
how the ZS was designed to avoid patent and supply problems associated
with SU's.  Apearently here is another example of doing something
different "because we can."  Much like early 70's Japanese car radios
which had the volume and tuning knobs swapped.

But I digress.

Hope this helps.

Dave Massey