Re:FACTORY ENGINE STARTUP

To: jeffn@msystech.com, ingate@shiseis.com
Subject: Re:FACTORY ENGINE STARTUP
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 10:40:14 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-08-09 04:09:18 EDT, jeffn@msystech.com (Jeff Nathanson)
writes:

<< 9) once started, DO NOT STOP THE ENGINE FOR 20 MINUTES!  This
 >   is the most crucial time in an engines life, and it is important
 >   to that this first running period be done correctly.  Do not
 >   idle the engine!
 Shane,

         Not trying to be critical, but why 20 minutes? What
         happens in this timeframe that doesn't happen in 5 minutes
         or 2 hours?

                Thanks for the replies to my inquiry.

This response to Shane triggered a foggy memory lurking back in the grey
matter.  In Piggott's book, "Triumph by Name Triumph by Nature" he published
the factory engine run in procedures for the TR 2 engine.  Each engine,
before fitting, was run in and tested for over 4 HOURS !  Here's the
procedure:

TR.2. ENGINE TEST (PRODUCTION)
Dual Drive Running-in Stands
Every Engine.

Description of Operation                                Time (Mins)
Load engine on stand                                             8
Slave at 1000 r.p.m.                                              20
Change over                                                         16
Fire at 1000 r.p.m.                                                20
Unload engine                                                        8

Every Engine

Load Engine                                                          10
Run at:
1000  rpm light                                                       15
1000  rpm under load                                              10
1500 rpm light                                                        15
1500   under load                                                   10
2000 rpm light                                                        10
2000 rpm under load                                                 5
3000 rpm light                                                        10
3000 rpm under load                                                 5
4000 rpm light                                                        10
4000 rpm under load                                                  5

Thereafter is described  7 increasing rpm test levels taking power readings
in B.H.P. taking another 180 minutes.  Piggot notes that engines which did
not muster up the required BHP were shifted off to be installed in the
Vanguard.

It is notable that the factory initial run in time on a new engine was 20
minutes, albeit at 1000 rpm  and after cranking with a slave motor at 1000
rpm for 20 minutes !
Think I'd burn our the starter motor with 20 minutes of continuous cranking
??!!

Pretty interesting stuff.

Bob Paul
TS71101L (With the engine about to be started)
TS45738L O
TS7280L