Re: TR6 thinks it has a radial engine

To: <TR66pack@aol.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 thinks it has a radial engine
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 15:02:22 -0500
Hello Kerry,
I have the oil feed kit in one of my TR6's and it does contribute to oil
smoke.  The TR6 doesn't come with oil seals so puddled oil ends up dripping
into the combustion chamber to be burned upon restart.  FWIW, mine even
blows smoke after an overnight. All TR's use oil somehow, most leak a bit.
I figure that since mine doesn't leak oil, I'm way ahead. Keep up the great
work with the 6-Pack. Thanks

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race
rgk@flash.net

----------
> From: TR66pack@aol.com
> To: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: TR6 thinks it has a radial engine
> Date: Monday, August 11, 1997 9:27 AM
>
> Hello Listers,
>
> Let me pick your collective brain.
>
> My 1974 TR6 billows a cloud of blue smoke on hot starts with no apparent
> smoke while driving. I think I may know what the problem is from a
previous
> thread but I thought I'd list my particulars and see what the general
> consensus is.
>
> I purchased this car in early May. It came with a ton of reciepts and was
> honestly represented. The car has a TRF short block and no-lead head with
> about 4000 miles of use. It also has the supplemental oil line to the
rear of
> the head. Cold starts (overnight or 5-6+ hours of sitting after a drive)
> produce no smoke. A hot start (4 hours since it was run) produces a
pretty
> good cloud, like an old radial aircraft engine coughing to life. However,
if
> I shut the car off and restart it within about 5 minutes there is no
smoke. I
> haven't gauged oil usage real close yet but I'm estimating 1/2 quart in
350
> miles, but that's not 350 miles of solid driving, that's 350 miles over
the
> course of a month so it's a lot of stops and starts. Also, some is
leaking
> from the timing gear gasket so all of the lost oil is not burned.
>
> My oil pressure is right on at speed, and down to about 12-15 at hot idle
> (fully hot, not just hot by the temperature gauge).
>
> Could this by my supplementary oil line flooding out a cylinder or two?
My