Re: Installing rear bumper

To: "Mark S. Lepore, MD" <Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Installing rear bumper
From: Jeff Nathanson <jeffn@msystech.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 19:28:17 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mark,

        You might try to cross reference them in the TRF catalogue. Locate
the bolt
in the bumber section and the part number of the bolt might be in the hardware
section toward the end of volume 2. Anyway, almost all the of the bolts (of
course there
are exceptions) are UNF (UNited Fine) which can be found at any hardware
store. But, just
as important is the grade which in indicative of the strength. The higher
the number = the
stronger. Bumpers probably require grade 8.

        To be more specific, take your side bumper to your trusty hardware
store. Try the
spectrum. My Bentley's (page 56, Torque settings) seems to indicate that the
all rear
bumber bolts are 3/8" UNF.

        If all else fails, can't you use the old ones? If they're stuck, try
WD-40 and wait overnight.

        Jeff N.

t 11:08 AM 8/11/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I need more help from the collective wisdom.
>In order to get the old bumper off, I had to saw it off.  I ordered an
>new center bar bumper from Moss, but plan to use the corner bars that I
>had.  It seems, however, that I can't find any bolts to fit the threads
>in these bumpers at the local hardware stores.  The guy there tells me
>there was a "special" British thread (I forget what he called this), and
>that this is what it would require.  Questions:
>1) Anyone know where I can get bolts to fit these corner bars
>2) The bolt required for the new Moss bumper seems to be slightly
>different.  Anyone know what this requires? (Moss wasn't able to help)
>3) Would I be better off just sawing out the nuts in the bumpers, and
>fitting them with new nuts to my own specifications?
>Thanks for the advice,
>Sirmoog
>'71 TR6 Cincinnati

Jeff C. Nathanson
Director of Product Development
Manufacturing Systems & Technologies, Inc.