BAAAAD GAAAAS

To: "'jruwaldt@indiana.edu'" <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Subject: BAAAAD GAAAAS
From: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 19:23:12 -0700
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
James,
        I suppose I could just let this die it's own slow and agonizing
death....but NO.
Gas does in fact go bad.  It will turn to varnish.  It will no longer function
as an internal combustion fuel.  How dare I make such brash statements in the
face of all these astute, knowledgable peers?

        Years ago, (many....let's just leave it at that.....OK 20 years ago)  I
was engaged to the daughter of the president of the Tow Car Association of
California.  Along with his daughter came the offer to run the San Francisco
impound yard out at Candlestick Point.  (nice place for a ballgame, but you
don't want to break down in that neighborhood !)

        We would dismantle upwards of 100 cars a day out there.  These were all
cars which had been towed off city streets, sat in the tow company garage,
brought to us for long term holding, placed up for auction and the 100 or so a
day were the remainder nobody would bid on.

        Among the fringe benefits to this job, aside from all the COOL stuf you
could find in the trunks (tools, guns, money etc.), was all the free gas you
could salvage.  I learned early on how to distinguish from the color just what
gas I would get and which I would allow the other dismantlers to divvy up
between themselves.

        Super was a bright clear pink to red.  Unleaded was a clear to yellow.
Regular was a gold to yellow.  The smell was the first giveaway, but the older
"varnish" was often dark red to brown and would not burn in any motor.

        Now, I don't pretend to understand the chemical structure of todays
fuels, but if there is even a trace of yesteryears formulations involved.....IT
WILL GO BAD.

        Sorry to offend, and hopefully others luck will continue (Mr.
President) ;)

Chris Prugh
72 Spitfar
Morgan Hill, CA