Re[4]: BAAAAD GAAAAS

To: jruwaldt@indiana.edu (Return requested)
Subject: Re[4]: BAAAAD GAAAAS
From: Peter Mchugh <Peter.Mchugh@faa.dot.gov>
Date: 13 Aug 1997 07:52:42 -0400
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (Return requested), van@nucmar.physics.fsu.edu (Return requested)
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/; 06E6433F1A00A018-MTAdot1]
X400-originator: Peter.Mchugh@faa.dot.gov
X400-received: by mta MTAdot1 in /c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/; converted ( IA5-Text); Relayed; 13 Aug 1997 07:52:42 -0400
X400-received: by /c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/; converted ( IA5-Text); Relayed; 13 Aug 1997 07:52:42 -0400
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <06E6433F1A00A018*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=gov+dot/o=faa/s=Mchugh/g=Peter/@MHS>

     Thanks for your reply...

     It "may" not be true that dyes "wouldn't affect performance" or that
     they are a petroleum distillate".

     One of the great debates in aviation today is exactly "How much dye is
     acceptable in jet fuel?" and exhaustive tests are being conducted.
     The current specification for jet fuel requires that the fuel
     introduced into an airplane be "water white" or in our venacular,
     "clear".  The dyes are thought to cause problems by clogging filters,
     building deposits on turbine blades, etc.  I even found one report
     within the marine community of a nuclear submarine, which was
     operating on its standby power (diesel) during maintenance on the
     reactor having an engine failure attributed to clogged fuel
     filters...a story which didn't leave me with warm fuzzies...

     There is much unknown about the issue...but for me...clear is better,
     both in skys and fuel for my lbc!!!!

     Cheers!

     PMcQ