Re: Synthetic Oil Summary

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Synthetic Oil Summary
From: Jeff Foster <jfoster@bdcast.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 16:17:43 -0500
>Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 08:47:34 -0400
>From: Ralph Jannelli <rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net>
>Subject: Synthetic Oil Summary
>
>Thanks to all for the responses to my question on synthetic oil. The
>overwhelming consensus is it is OK to use synthetic oil in a motor of
>any age or condition, except a newly rebuilt motor. The newly rebuilt
>motor should be "run -in" until the rings seat on dino juice. Then
>switched to synthetic.
>I did buy some Mobile 1 10W30 the other day and after John Lye's comment
>on Mobile 1 being only partially synthetic I reread the label. At least
>on the 10W30, which I believe is a new weight for Mobile 1, the label
>states it is fully synthetic.

OK, so now the question raised is ... if using synthetic oil, how far/long
do you go between oil changes?  I've heard people claim that since it's
synthetic it doesn't break down as quick (or at all?) that the higher price
paid for it can be offset by running it much longer.  One guy I know claims
he simply changes his filter at 3000 mile intervals and waits to change his
oil at 6000 mile intervals.