Re: TR3/4 Gearbox Change

To: EPaul21988@aol.com, 103171.565@compuserve.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3/4 Gearbox Change
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 21:35:32 -0700
At   97-08-13 16:18:21 EDT, 103171.565@CompuServe.COM (neil gallagher) writes:

 've recently acquired a TR4 OD transmisison, which I'm intending to install in
 my TR3A.

Mount the TR4 transmission to the engine just like you would a TR3 transmission.

Next, get a rat tail file end elongate the rear mounting holes untill you
can get the proper mounting bolts to go through.

Install a TR3 OD speedomoter cable.

Remove the TR4 shifter and bolt the TR3 shift lever onto the TR4 transmission.

The solinoid goes on the back side of the battery box.  I believe that your
operator's manual provides you with th correct wiring diagram for the OD
harness.

British Pacific carries the standard Lucas stripped wires, bullet
connectors and the solder on tips (1-800-554-4133).

Do NOT put the car in reverse untill you have varified that the solinoid is
working correctly.  With the transmission cover off, watch the solinoid
move the lever as you switch between gears with the OD switch in the on
position.  The lever should be up in first and reverse gears, and down in
2, 3, 4th gears.  If the solinoid is not pushing the lever and you have
everything wired correctly and electricity flowing, remove the solinoid and
clean up the centre piston.  If it sits for a while grit & such may cause
too much friction for the solinoid coil to push the piston.

Also, after you drive the car a little, check the transmission fluid.
Fluid is pumped into the OD unit mechaniically from the transmission.

Good Luck.

Syncro in first and an OD really transforms the TR's handling and
drivability on freeways.

TeriAnn Wakeman

I will be away on a Land Rover photo expidition between Aug 23 and Nov 4.
I will not be on the net during that time.