Re: BAAAAD GAAAAS

To: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Subject: Re: BAAAAD GAAAAS
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 00:22:34 -0500
Cc: Peter Mchugh <Peter.Mchugh@faa.dot.gov>, Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
According to my sources, unleaded gas starts losing octane after a
period of 30 days, that is why most lawn mowers are low compession
design.  How old is the gas in your gas can?  I will attest to the
mighty mess that gas can do to your tank, fuel lines, pumps and carbs.

After sitting in the garage for about eight years, the gas tank and fuel
lines of my Spitfire were a total disaster.  I took the fuel line loose
from the tank and had to run a stiff wire into the tank to even get a
trickle of gas. The fuel line was a solid plug of varnish. The main jets
on the carbs were glued in place and would not move even after soaking
for 3 days in fresh gallon cans of carb cleaner. I wound up driving them
out with a punch and ball peen hammer.  Then re-soaked them for another
day. I still used 4 big cans of spray carb cleaner on the SUs to finish
cleaning them.  I totally polluted 2 gallon cans(1 for each carb) of new
VArsol.

So gas does go bad and deisel fuel will gel.

Just had to get my nickles worth in.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4
Houston