air cleaner painting - tr6

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: air cleaner painting - tr6
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 14:41:31 -0600
A few days ago I posted a question about what the correct color is to
paint the tr6 air cleaner housing. I have recieved several replies
(thanks everyone!) and know what color I need (Duplicolor T229).

However, I have no experience painting anything other than clear coating
my carbs and would like to bounce a few of my thoughts off everyone:

1. I assume that a factory painted item typically has "baked-on" paint
which is a much higher quality finish than simply spraying paint from a
spray can (which is my only option if I do it myself).

2. I will have to strip off the old (original) paint from my air cleaner
to properly paint the thing with the spray paint. This will require
money for the stripping compund and elbow grease for the work. Probably
should polish up the metal with steel wool or something when it's bare
---> more elbow grease.

3. I should coat the air cleaner with primer in order to provide a good
foundation for the topcoat. More $ for the primer.

4. The topcoat goes on in several coats. Unlikely I will be able to
match the factory quality, especially if it was "baked-on".

So I am considering having the air cleaner powder coated. I have been
dealing with a local powder coater who has done very good work for me
before and am considering taking this job to him as well. I have been
quoted a price of $20-30 (Canadian) depending on him seeing the actual
assembly to determine the final price. I figure I would have to spend
close to $20 on materials myself if I were to do it (using a seemingly
inferior technique). I assume $10 for paint, $5 for primer and another
$5 for stripping compund. Plus my labor.

So does it make sense to powder coat the air cleaner or am I missing
something and I should not do it? I am already resolved to not missing
the "I did it myself" feeling of satisfaction I might get if I did do it
all myself - I just want a really nice looking air cleaner.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada