A Web Resource For P.I. Owners?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: A Web Resource For P.I. Owners?
From: Don Guthrie <Don.Guthrie@netlink.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 13:53:12 +1300
The Lucas PI mechanical fuel injection system is often slandered as being
inefficient, unreliable, etc., etc. This is simply not true as many PI
owners today will testify. The PI system acquired this undeserved
reputation early on, mainly because it was new and unfamiliar to the
mechanics of the day who didn't know how to diagnose and tune them properly
(and most still don't).  Here in New Zealand it became common surgery to
throw away the PI units on the 2.5PI saloons and replace them with more
familiar and "reliable" (although less powerful) carburettor systems.

Fine-tuning of the metering unit is a complex business because there are
many adjustments possible, but after spending some time learning about the
system I'm convinced that there's no reason for it to be beyond the
abilities of moderately mechanically-minded owners equipped with the right
information, some basic analytical tools and a logical approach. The main
problem I've had (and still have) is simply getting hold of enough techical
information about the system in order to understand the cause-and-effect of
the many adjustments possible.

Now to the point of this post. I'm planning to put together as
comprehensive a web resource as I can manage specifically on the
specifications, tuning and maintenance of Lucas PI systems. Why? Because
I've been frustrated at how unavailable this information is myself. Because
I think it's an area of tuning/maintenance that is not being done well (or
not being done at all) because of a lack of easily accessible information.
And because I've received a lot of help from the various Triumph resources
on the 'net, including this list, and I'd like to put something back.

Good practical information on this subject is not easy to come by because
it seems knowledge in this area is derived from practical anecdotal
experience as much as from any "official" manuals, and while I have
accumulated some info which can be republished, I know there's more. There
are PI owners on this list with a lot of experience and probably a file of
reprinted articles, manuals etc. on this subject (Egil K?, Gary B?). This
is a begging letter to all you PI owners for any information you can
provide - whether original or copied, soft or hard copy (email me for a
snail mail address). Naturally all contributions will be credited to the
authors.

Cheers,
Don Guthrie
'74 TR6 PI