Dash Cluster

To: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Dash Cluster
From: "Gregory J. Edge" <edgr@mbari.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:07:09 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Adjusted the OEM Smith's clock as per helpful hints posted by
several last week.  One notch appears to change the rate by about
2-3 minutes per day.

One rather puzzling thing: the clock was marked "MADE IN FRANCE."

While the dash was apart I also looked into a nonworking turn indicator
lamp and panel illumination lamp.

The turn indicators all worked, but the right indicator lamp on the
panel did not.  The multi-pin connector supplying this and other devices
was a little crusty and loose.  Removal and a quick spray with contact
cleaner seemed to do the trick nicely.

The panel lamp was a little trickier as the contacts looked good, but
there was no voltage across them.  Chasing the embedded copper loop, I
found that on another lamp, it had broken through downstream of that
working lamp and upstream from the non-working lamp.  Using a soldering
iron I loosened some of the green plastic insulation coating and was
able to solder a jumper wire across the gap.

As a side light to all the jostling that occured to the panel, the
temperature gauge now reads across a broader range than it once did.
Noticed lots of other postings in regard to this.  Suspect that over
time all of the contacts on the connectors become more resistive and
could use a good sound whacking.

Gregory J. Edge
'78 TR7 FHC OGDO
'80 TR7 DHC FI a/c