Re: TR-6 fuel gauge wobble?

To: Erik Quackenbush <erik.quackenbush@scala.com>
Subject: Re: TR-6 fuel gauge wobble?
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 12:01:10 -0400
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Erik Quackenbush wrote:

> The fuel gauge in my TR-6 reads correctly when the tank is full and when
> the tank is less than half full. The rest of time it reads almost empty..
> Any suggestions? Does this sound like a mechanical problem?
>
> -Erik
> --
> Erik Quackenbush, Engineering Manager, InfoChannel
> Scala Research & Development 1-610-363-3343
> mailto:erik.quackenbush@scala.com http://www.scala.com
Sounds like a sensor problem. If you can remove the sensor, you will
find an arm with a float in it. I think the float is OK (you get a full
reading). At the other end of the arm is a unit that has a wire-wound
resistor in it. The wiper attached to the arm moves over the resistor
windings and changes the current flow to the meter. There may be some
crud built up on the wire or the wiper is not making contact. You can
see the meter move when you move the float arm up and down. It should
read smoothly from one end of the scale to the other as you move the
float arm.