Re: TR-6 fuel gauge wobble?

To: erik.quackenbush@scala.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR-6 fuel gauge wobble?
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 19:50:44 -0400 (EDT)
Erik:

Earlier today, I said I would measure the resistance of my old TR6 fuel
sender to see if an aftermarket unit would work. My unit was so bad that I
could not get a dependable, repeatable, reading, but it looks like about 12 -
18 ohms full, and 170 - 180 ohms empty. None of the after market units match
this close enough to be useable - most of them are 33 ohms full, and 240
empty. This means your stock gauge would read about 1/4 tank when empty, and
about 3/4 tank when full. I also tried to fit an after market sender to the
stock tank without much luck. It could be done, but an adapter plate would be
needed. Not real difficult to make, but still a lot of trouble.

For my car, I am replacing the sender and the gauge with Autometer units, and
the tank with a custom made 19 gallon tank. See web page below.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74