Re: engine numbers

To: karim.marouf@cancom.com
Subject: Re: engine numbers
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:53:53 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 karim.marouf@cancom.com wrote:

> I recently bought a '68 Mark I GT6 and am wondering how to tell if the motor
> is original. It 's a series one motor with the old-style head, but the
> serial number prefix is KD, and all the books I've looked at say it should
> be KC. Is KD perhaps the prefix used on emissions-controlled Mark I engines?
> Also, how close should the serial numbers be to the VIN numbers (should they
> be not more apart by more than a few hundred?)

KD is the prefix for "smog-controlled" Mk.2 (+) engines. Perhaps an
earlier head was bolted to a later block? Engine numbers often are within a
few hundred of the commission number.

> One more question. Were Vitesse six-cylinder coupes ever imported to the US?
> I've seen convertibles and four-cylinder Heralds come up for sale before,
> but never a Vitesse coupe.

Actually, there's no such thing as a Vitesse coupe', save for the
original Vitesse prototype. There were saloons (sedans), however, none of
which were imported to the U.S. Some 679 convertible Vitesse 1600s were
imported to the U.S. as "Sports 6" models, and Vitesses were also
imported to Canada in both convertible and saloon body styles.

Of course, there is the Australian Triumph 12/50, which appeared in
coupe' form as well as saloon form. These used Herald engines and such,
but featured Vitesse-style bonnets. Check out the VTR Web site
<www.vtr.org> for more information on Heralds and Vitesses.

--Andy