RE: Engine Numbers

To: "'John Harris'" <jharris@wimsey.com>
Subject: RE: Engine Numbers
From: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 03:21:41 -0700
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
John,

        Could be, however the cylinder volumes were equal from the factory, and
unless damaged thru stupidity or slightly warped (determined with a good
straightedge), I would not recommend this procedure.  On the Spitfire, the head
gasket has a raised ring built in at the cylinders.  This ring sits in an area
cut into the deck of the block and acts as a seal.  Taking the block down to
this level invites poor sealing in these areas, and may cause oil and coolant
leaks thru other areas of the gasket mating surface.  IMHO, minimal machining,
if any, should be done to the top of the block.  Now the head....well

Chris Prugh
72 Spitfar
Morgan Hill, CA