RE: Paint for wheel wells?

To: "dstauffa@csc.com" <dstauffa@csc.com> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Paint for wheel wells?
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 22 Aug 1997 09:21:13 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 0691633FDBC79016-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 22 Aug 1997 09:21:13 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 22 Aug 1997 09:21:13 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0691633FDBC79016*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Dave wrote:
When the shell was bead blasted, some of the undercoating in the wheel
wells was removed.  It wouldn't take much effort to remove the remaining
bits.
The question I have for all of you is has anyone chosen to paint the wheel
wells versus reapply undercoat?  If so, what type of paint did you use? Was
it chip resistant?
++++++++++++++++++++
Dave - there is a product called "Body Schutz" (or something like that
name), and you apply paint over it.  What it does is leave a "bumpy" or
"pebble grain" surface, but paint adheres to it just like primer.  It is
commonly used under hoods and in fenderwells of hot rods, etc. and is
really neat looking stuff.  I had my paint and body guy shoot the underside
of my Spitfire bonnet and the wheel wells with it before he painted the
whole thing.  It provides a pretty good layer of protection against rocks
and stones, and seems just slightly soft so it handles flexing of sheet
metal quite well.  You should be able to find it at automotive paint and
body supply houses (there are a few up here in the Los Angeles area).
Ross D. Vincenti
Asst. General Counsel/Asst. Sec'ty.
Transamerica Home Loan - Legal Dept.
Los Angeles, CA 90015