Poorly running TR6, more clues?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Poorly running TR6, more clues?
From: dynamic@transport.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:13:35 -0700
With the help of Philip E. Barnes, I reset the ignition trigger using the
correct procedure from the installation instructions for the Allison
electronic ignition.  The problem persists for now.  I did contact Crane
Cams, and they tell me that the unit either works or it doesn't.  There's
no in-between.  The tech told me to turn out the lights and check under the
hood while the motor is running (in darkness) to look for any visible
arcing.  Did this, and none was apparent.  He also suggested that I clean
the ground wire connection to the chassis.  He said it would be a black
wire coming out of the box, but checking my system, it is the purple wire
that is connected to a ground.  The black wire is connected to one side of
the coil.  There is a tag on the purple wire which IDs the wire and on it
is the word "ground"... actually, the g and part of the r have been worn
away, but I think this is enough to verify a properly connected system, and
besides, it has run with no problems since 1989!!

My next step is to (possibly) change plugs.  I'm running BPR6ES NGKs right
now.  I think I'll switch to BPR5ES, since for some reason I like NGK
plugs.  But, why would the plugs SUDDENLY go bad?  It's been quite a while
since I've replaced the cap and rotor... according to my service records,
the current cap and rotor have seen about 26,000 miles or so.  In that
case, why would the cap and/or rotor SUDDENLY go bad?

I'm still considering fuel delivery, but it is still low on my list.

I'd appreciate any more input!

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6