Triumph question...indirectly!

To: "Barry P. Warwick" <bwarwick@wcoil.com>
Subject: Triumph question...indirectly!
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 10:29:20 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

    Barry> Hope all listers are having a great weekend!  Cool
    Barry> but bright and sunny here in NW Ohio.

    Barry> With the cooler weather approaching, thought that I
    Barry> might seek "Thermal Advice"

    Barry> Plan to continue to work on Wallace during winter
    Barry> months.  Need to heat 2900 cu.ft. garage space.
    Barry> Block walls, non-insulated door.  Pretty tight, but
    Barry> won't hold a vacuum!  Wanted to delve into
    Barry> collective wisdom concerning type and size of
    Barry> heater that might be best.  I know that some of you
    Barry> must like to stay warm Oct-Mar!!!!  TIA.

Cheapest: kerosene torpedo.  It smells, and you'll need to
          ventilate.  Open flame.  Hmmm.  I used one for
          years, and still use it for small jobs.  Portable.

Cheaper:  Propane torpedo: Doens't smell so much, but then
          when you drop you won't know why.  Ventilate.
          Ditto open flame.  Portable.

Costly:   Radiant LP or Natural:  Nice.  No flames.
          Good heat.  Cost is the only downside as far
          as I can tell.  Moveable to new locations.

More Costly: Furnace.  I have one in my garage (actually over
             my garage).  It's way overkill, but the POx2
             replaced the in-house furnace to sell and just
             plumbed it into the garage.  Very cool.  Not code
             everywhere. (Including here, I think).

If you can, insulate a little.  Some fireproof foam and
construction adhesive will do wonders for keeping the heat
in vs. bare concrete block.
                                                -MM