spit horns, tr6 fuel cap gasket et al.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: spit horns, tr6 fuel cap gasket et al.
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 19:04:27 -0500
42.

(Thanks for the humor Scott McG - we havent heard in a while)

Now the 4 cents.

First, a treatise on horn systems (all TR cars except TR3 series - never
done one of them)

The horn ground IS through the steering column, not the tube surrounding
it.  A comon problem is in the flexible couplings...each has a wire
connecting the upper and lower halves of the coupling and if these wires
are broken or frayed the hooter  may mysteriously stop hooting.   The TR4
series have two rubber couplings wheras the TR6 has only the top one and an
all steel u joint for the lower.  The spitfire needs only the lower metal u
joint due to steering column angle being <sympathetic> to the job.  Another
problem may be the grounding of the steering rack under the grease (pardon
me, OIL) filling nipple (more about hooters?!?).

While doing maintenance, you can take a continuity tester (or buzz box or
other) and test for continuity between the centre of the steering column
(by the big nut) and some other grounding point in the cockpit.  If all is
well the light will light.  Otherwise you have a failed ground and start
looking as above.

Another problem could also be the spring loaded brush not making proper
contact with the power feed  ring.  This may happen if steering column
bushings are worn out - wear on the spring bush is accelerated.  Try
bending the brass tab on the horn push.  Inspect the springy piece... if
memory serves,  one end protruded 3/4 of an inch or so.

The fuel cap seal.

P 39 of TRF vol 1 lists:  718756, seal unit, for 70 and 71.  Part is not
illustrated and price list is not handy but I did successfully order one
three years or so ago.  They are a buck or two if memory serves.

Also listed is seal, non vented, T6 72-76 p/n 725220.

Level 2 sales should help.

Beleive me, if you think TR6 bits are hard to find, try a mk ii GT6
someday,  there ARE no catalogues save Rimmer and VB.  I echo Greg Wolf's
comments about ease of VB ordering but their shipping policy makes them
cost prohibitave to Canada unless large dollar orders are placed.  Besides
that,  I have had only limited success with anyone else beside's TRF's
"help lines".  Charles, if you are listening,  keep up the good work and
count another vote in favor of a GT6 (or even early spit) catalogue.

DAve Terrick
69 GT6+, now running fast enough to need heavier front springs and a rear
bar on the track.
anyone out there know about VB's "HD GT6 springs?"