Re: Pointless distributor question

To: GLENN BOWLEY <gbowley@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Pointless distributor question
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 16:23:56 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
GLENN BOWLEY wrote:

> I have a '75 Spitfire 1500 (FM30644U), that has a points-type distributor on
>it.
> My question is, is this the "correct" distributor for this year? I'm asking
>because
> I thought '75 and up were equipped with the electronic ignition system. Maybe
>there
> was a  break-point in the '75 production run when they were switched
> over to the electronic type distributor? The reason I'm asking is because I
>would like
> to install the Crane/Allison XR700 electronic ignition module in the
>distributor.
> I would like to order the correct ignition system for my distributor.
>         By the way, has anybody out there had any experience with the Crane
>system? Is it worth the $100? Seems like a good alternative to
replacing points eve
> Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Glenn,

What you probably have is a car manufactured in '74 (what's the tag on
the door jamb say?) to be sold as a '75 model. It's quite possible the
points dist. is correct.

Whatever, the Crane unit works well, and the #700-0231 universal kit is
an easy installation on the Delco dist. If you coil is in good shape, you
should see a stronger spark after the Crane installation.

Have fun,
Charlie B.
Spitfire Pilot