Re: triumph tr6 w/9k

To: KMNTR6@aol.com
Subject: Re: triumph tr6 w/9k
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:39:38 -0500
Cc: Sept995@aol.com, owner-triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>>>>> "KMNTR6" == KMNTR6  <KMNTR6@aol.com> writes:

    KMNTR6> Kevin I have seen cars like this before. They are
    KMNTR6> usually not the "showroom perfect" examples that
    KMNTR6> they are made out to be. Most of the time there
    KMNTR6> are multiple problems from sitting and non-use. I
    KMNTR6> see from your post that you own 2 Triumphs. I own
    KMNTR6> 2 myself and if I let either one sit too long, it
    KMNTR6> just doesn't start as easily as when they are
    KMNTR6> driven on a regular basis. Seals dry out, those
    KMNTR6> pesky o rings rot and after 21 years, I'd bet that
    KMNTR6> a TR6 with only 9,000 miles would not be in
    KMNTR6> showroom condition even though it might appear
    KMNTR6> perfect. In my opinion the car is NOT worth
    KMNTR6> $20,000. It would be much wiser to spend your
    KMNTR6> money on a car that is driven and MAINTAINED
    KMNTR6> regularly.

I'd mostly second this.  You'll probably spend $1K or more on
little fiddly bits like suspension bushes, oil seals, brake
lines, caliper seals, motor and xmission mounts and stuff like
that just to get it back in a safe operating mode.  If you can
live with that, offer him less for it and be prepared to
wrench a bit.  I'd take off the cost of having a mechanic do
that stuff (which is much more than parts cost, 'cause some of
this stuff takes major labour to get to) and see what he says
if you really want it.
                                                        -MM