Re: Spit 6!

To: Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu
Subject: Re: Spit 6!
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 28 Aug 97 12:31:36
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
CHRIS LILLJA wrote:

>>Anyone out there ever build a Spit 6? Any advice for this poor fool?
[snip]
I have a perfecly straight '79 Spit frame and a good tub, and enough
trim parts to make it look like a MKIV...chrome bumpers, ect... I
also have a tan top and Interior...
I'd like some imput on:
Cooling systems. Since the GT6 was kinda marginal in this area, are
there any suggestions for an after market or UJC replacement? BTW
I'll probably go with a 2.5 liter...(NSFCC)
Induction: Weber DCOE's are a bit pricy for this project... anyone
ever use HS6's or HS8's? Last Spit 6 I saw had Weber downdrafts...can
anyone tell me what fits?
GT6 folks - are you happy with your brakes?
Has anyone ever adapted the GT6+ rear wishbones to a Spit frame?
Would it be worth it? -- Especially if your starting with a "Swing
Spring"....<<

Chris -- you may find this to be too large a project, but I have seen it done,
and the end result could be a lot of fun.  But you have a lot of homework to do
first ...
(There is some consensus that the easier project is to put a Spit
tub on a GT6.  Hmm.)  As per cooling systems, the GT6 is not really that bad,
particularly
if you throw a thermostatic fan in front of the radiator.  (Expect it to run a
lot, though.)
Problem is, on a Spit frame, youšll have to modify it to put in a GT6 radiator
anyway,
so you might as well explore other cooling options.  CARBS:  I am curious to
know
where one can find a manifold to use SUs on a GT6 engine.  I have never seen
one.
I think you would be happy with the twin Z-S setup, anyway...  certainly
easier, overall.
BRAKES:  Mine are just fine, even when running without the servo, which the PO
probably
removed after it failed.  (One day, maybe I will put it back in when I get the
bucks..)  As per the rear suspension conversion, well, I am in the woods on
this one ...

On the other hand ... maybe you ought to just sell your Spit parts, buy a GT6,
and drive it when you ain*t in the 4A.  That*s (kind of) what I do!

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6 III