FW: Re: TR6 occasional miss

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Re: TR6 occasional miss
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 15:32:26 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [George Leicht
<"glite@eos.net"@eos.net>]]

     Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 13:56:00 -0400
     From: George Leicht <"glite@eos.net"@eos.net>
     Subject: Re: TR6 occasional miss

Joe Flake wrote:

> Where would suggest I begin in tracking down an occasional
> miss my '72 TR6 seems to have.
>
> I notice it about once on each outing.  Always at steady
> cruise speed (yesterday at about 70 mph on the interstate)
> and never for more than a fraction of a second or so.  Always
> seems to happen a few lanes over from the side of the
> road, and lasts just long enough to get the "oh s**t"
> feeling started.  Then it runs smoothly again.  Maybe it's
> just complaining about a steady drive and wants more
> attention.
>
> In general the car runs well, without any missing or sputtering.
> Not too long back I went through the ignition (points/condensor/
> plugs/timing etc).  It did this occasional miss both before
> and after that session.
>
> Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.
>
> Joe Flake
> flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com
> HP Atlanta

Had the same problem in my 73, a few years back.   Drove me nuts! as the
miss was very intermittent and only at high revs.  John Ewing diagnosed
it as a problem with the mechanical advance, that is, the advance
mechanism  was rusted or frozen inside the distributor (vacuum
advance/retard worked fine).

Couple drops of light oil and working the shaft back and forth cured it
immediately.

good luck

george leicht
glite@eos.net