Re: More engine alternatives?

To: jay pollmann <thorfinnxx@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: More engine alternatives?
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 19:10:44 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
jay pollmann wrote:

> I've posted about an engine conversion before, and the possibilities are
> still gnawing at me....I have the chance to purchase a driveable but
> bent 86 RX7 really cheap, and the engine purrs like my cat before it
> goes into heat...I know people have seen this done, but are there any
> websites or books or French cave drawings with information about the
> transformation? How much hp/torque can a spitfire's back end handle?
> With the 146 Japanese ponies that the mazda brings, should I be thinking
> about putting in the rear end? The wheel base is really close to the
> same size...There are a ton of questions and as my car sits in peices
> around the house waiting to be painted and reassembled, I'm anxious to
> see if I really want to weld some new motor mounts on the frame...
>
> Thanks a ton....j

Not that much torque, I don't think.  Ditto the axles. And it ain't only the
rear end,
it's the gearbox too.

Problem is, everybody loves how the Spit looks, but they hate the little
engine.  I wish
more people would try developing the 1500 engine, and/or whole car, or swap a
Spit tub
onto some of those poor old GT6's sitting around with disintegrated floorpans.
But
nobody ever listens to me ... must be because ... I'm a Libra.

--
Martin Secrest
74 Spitfire